Friday, June 22, 2012

Eating 'Trash Fish' In Croatia And Testing The 'Bourdain Bump'

Filed under: Food and Drink, Europe, Budget Travel
I wasn't necessarily in Croatia to find an aphrodisiac. But there I was standing on the Adriatic shore just outside of Rovinj on the Istrian peninsula with some local conspiracy theorist/café owner staring at a pile of twigs in the palm of his hand. "Here, eat it," he said. "It's good for, you know, the sex." And then, as I chewed the bitter weed that he'd just pulled from the ground, he began a long tirade about how multi-national banks are controlling our thoughts.

After a little research I realized I was eating rock samphire, also known as sea fennel. It is mentioned as an aphrodisiac on websites - and, as we all know, everything we read on the Internet is true. (The site I looked at also lists bananas, sea snails, garlic and Champagne for "the sex.")

I swallowed the motar, as samphire is called in Croatian, and wished I were back at Batalina instead. Located in the town of Banjole, Batalina is run by David Skoko and his two parents. David has quickly risen to fame in Croatia, thanks to his appearance on the popular Croatian TV show Master Chef.Continue reading Eating 'Trash Fish' In Croatia And Testing The 'Bourdain Bump'Eating 'Trash Fish' In Croatia And Testing The 'Bourdain Bump' originally appeared on Gadling on Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments



Lapland holidays Lapland skiing holidays Travel Finland holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment